Friday, April 11, 2008

I Have Been Tagged!

Well It seems I have been tagged... Thanks, CARRI This is my first attempt at tagging so let the games begin: And it appears I don't know how to link as of yet.

Here are the rules:
1. Link your tagger. Post the rules.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself (random and weird).
3. Tag 7 friends.
4. Leave a comment letting them know they've been "tagged."

Seven weird and random things about me...

1. I used to keep poison dart frogs as pets.
CLICK HERE.. Weird I know... but actually I love frogs... always have. I remember being a little girl about 5 and my Mom, I think made me a screened cage to put the frogs I would find in. It wasn't until Graduate school that I really became interested in exotic frogs... to the point that I had several terrariums devoted to exotic frogs. Some of those suckers cost upwards of 75-100 bucks apiece! Of course it helped that the family owned a pet store at the time... and was able to get them at reduced prices. When Wayne and I met I had three larger sized terrariums with several varieties of frogs. I was also breeding Mantella frogs.. and I had over 100 babies... the funny thing is I had to breed fruit flies to feed the babies.... those were fun when they got out in your house. I will stop and rescue frogs and turtles if they are in the middle of the road.

2. I have a Master's of Biology with my degree area being Aquatic Biology (both Fresh water and Marine Biology. The weird part about that is that I got this degree at West Texas A&M University in Canyon. Whats weird about that... we are a good 14 hours away from the coast. What am I doing with this degree???? I am SAHM... I do maintain a few aquariums for some local Dr.s etc.

3. I have a group of fish classified in the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of Natural History In Washington D.C. When I was completing my Thesis research. I had to request preserved specimens of Discus fish from several museums around the world. I had to count the number of scale rows, fins etc. Reeealllly, Reeeeaallly, boring...Anyway... a whole set of fish came in and they were classified as Symphysodon Aequifaciatus (say that as fast as you can 5 times)..... After I did all the different counts on these fish, I discovered that these fish were not what they were labeled and were actually a "cousin" species of these fish. So I contacted the curator of collections and told them of my findings. A couple of months later, I received a letter indicating that the correct classification had been made, and the credit on the classification was given to me.

4. I am a voracious reader....I absolutely LOVE a good mystery, love romantic(clean) historical novels. I also love to read Christian Fiction... I read practically every night... and will stay up all night if I am in the middle of a good one! Haven't done that in a long time...

5. I love photography... but not for the sake of taking good pictures.... I love it because I love to capture the moment... and since that is my perspective, I am forcing myself to become a better photographer, and have taken a class or two trying to get better. I am a huge scrapbooker... not very weird... but I am obsessed about setting the shot to get the right picture.. to scrapbook...... you know if it doesn't come out right the first time... I am not opposed to tell everyone to go back and lets try it again...

6. I won the West Texas Science Symposium's call for Papers in 1996. My Professor did not even attend the event because he figured that my research wasn't ready and developed enough to place, let alone win. I rubbed that one in for a really really long time. He never lived it down.

7. I abhor, hate, get sick to my stomach thinking about eating any kind of organ meat. My brother took care of us never having to eat liver. My parents love liver and onions, and would every month or so...have it for dinner. The last time it was served... my brother threw up all over the dinner table...never ate liver again...My sisters and I paid him well for that service.

Now for the fun part... I am going to try and think about who I can tag... I tag Amanda, Lily w., Christie M.... and Hmmmm Who else???

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Obviously your husband isn't important enough to tag.....

Carri said...

Thamk you so much for playing the tag game!! Maybe you shoul add Wayne to the tag game!!Just so you know I HATE frogs!!Hope you are still my friend!