Friday, May 30, 2008

Yummmm EGGROLLS!


I don't know about you, but we LOVE egg rolls.... I found a recipe on another blog that is so simple and so delicious! We liked the recipe so much that I have made them three times in the past two weeks. The first batch I made when Wayne was home and he loved them as much as I did. Then I made a triple batch for a party on Memorial Day. Tonight I made a batch specifically to freeze.

The recipe is really easy and takes about 30 minutes start to finish.

You will need a package of egg roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the produce dept) I have tried two different brands... I prefer the Melissa brand over the other one...these seem to have more flour on them and make them easier to separate and glue together. I can't remember what the brand name was.

A bag of Cole Slaw mix. I get the one with the carrots and the red cabbage. I don't like cooked red cabbage because it turns funky colors, so I try to pull most of it out.

1 bunch of scallions or green onions. I slice these really thin and use quite a bit of the greens as well.
Bean Sprouts...my family doesn't like bean sprouts so we don't use them.

3Tb of Soy Sauce... I just add this to taste... I never measure.

Any meat that you want to add. We LOVE shrimp. I just quickly cook about 12 md shrimp with a little butter and garlic and then chop very fine. We have also made chicken, and I stir fry one breast and chop finely as well.
Cook meat first and remove from heat and chop. In a large skillet heat a couple tsp of canola oil and cook the green onions and the coleslaw mix for about 4-6 minutes. This will cook down a bit. At this point add the soy sauce and continue cooking until the liquid cooks off. Add the cooked meat. Scoop a couple TBS of the mix and roll according to the directions on the back of the egg roll wrap package.
Heat (in a deep fry pan,wok or a fry daddy) a couple of inches of Canola Oil to 375 degrees. I used vegetable oil the first time, and it was too greasy for my taste. Be careful, these will splatter grease if the inside liquid seeps out. It only takes a minute or so and these are done. Drain well on paper towels. I am freezing this last batch and will let you know how well they freeze and reheat.

On Memorial Day I made a triple recipe of these, but used won ton wrappers instead so they were bite sized. It took a long time, but made 120 bite sized egg rolls and there wasn't a single one left.

I know they really don't seem very healthy as they are fried, but I know what is going into these... I know there is no MSG, and my son loves these as well! I dip them in soy sauce as well as duck sauce. To reheat, I nuke for about 25 secs and then crisp in the toaster oven for about 3-5 minutes @300 degrees.

For other good recipes check out Kami's Cooking blog (where this one originated) on the left as well as Squillen's Cooking blog (She just posted her eggroll recipe today)... there are some awesome recipes there.

2 comments:

Wayne said...

I can see it now Kari's Famous EggRolls over 1 million served...lol

Maybe when she gets to Virginia she can experiment with crab and lobster.

Hmmm Maybe a little outdoor vending cart located near a Virginia Beach...lol

Kariberry said...

Those look sooo good. I love egg rolls. The only ones i have ever eaten were pork.