Monday, July 21, 2008

Saw Something Today...

That I haven't seen in a while...WIND... yes you heard me right. I was out on the back deck and all of the sudden I realised that the wind does blow here...just not very often and very hard. Back home in Texas, you get used to the constant 30mph light breeze. You get so used to it that when it doesn't blow, it is almost a holiday. Here there is hardly ever any breeze and believe me there are times I would almost kill for a small breeze to help cool things off. The weather men here talk about strong sustained winds of 18mph as being windy.

We are not adjusting very well to the weather yet. The temps have not be high by Texas standards (mid 90's) but the absence of a breeze, and factor in the 987% humidity, and it is drenching. The air conditioner never seems to cut off.... I am really dreading the bill when it comes. I used to live in Virginia, twice as a matter of fact. As a child, until the age of 13 and again as a college student. I really do not remember the humidity being this bad, maybe I forgot that part, maybe it is because I am way older now. Either way, I sure hope we can adapt. Carson on the other hand has no problem whatsoever. He was out yesterday with Wayne at the park, playing hard and dripping wet, with his face beet red, but he wanted to go back out. We wait until dusk, to do ANYTHING outside.

Yesterday afternoon we took off on a Sunday afternoon drive. We headed out west this time and of course we took back roads. We drove through some of the prettiest country ever. Through some beautiful horse country, large pastures with the standard white horse fence and green rolling hills. There are some very large horse farms here that have produced several racehorses. Anyway, we got a little lost, but had fun doing it.

In other news, I am almost completely done unpacking. We unpacked all the crystal, china and milk glass yesterday. Just need to rearrange the china cabinets to get it all in there nicely. I actually hung curtains today too, in the dining room and living room as well as the kitchen. The garage is the only thing that really has not been tackled, but.... guess what ? I am not touching that one.

2 comments:

Til said...

That sounds like a lovely drive!

Zach Fields said...

hey! You guys will adapt... and Im glad to read that Carson is having a good time... I don't think I really knew how much I would miss that kid until I realized how little I will see him from now on...

And re the note on humidity, the clan from Manassas is here and they keep saying "Oh... here its just a DRYYY heat... " haha